Tuesday 6 November 2012

C is for cookie... omnomnomnom...

Another week or few of failing somewhat to stick to the diet, and I blame cookies (hopefully you have had a chance to read my past post introducing my Cookie Monster), wine (on that note, another plug for Redbox Winery, their Cabernet Blanc is amazing - light drinking, similar to a Rose, perfect summer wine), and Melbourne Cup. I thought I had my self control well refined but it turns out I have a weakness for cookies, and get into the whole internal debate with myself when presented with the temptation - surely one won't hurt...???

One of my (numerous) favorite cookies, which has been a not so secret love of mine since the days when we used to go on our family Christmas camping trips to the Coromandel, is Afghans. Nana would always bring enough baking to feed an army, and I always used to sniff these babies out and make sure I got my share - the list of other delish treats such as Ginger Crunch, Fruit Cake, Surprises, Choc Coconut Slice were all equally as good but these ones are something extra special. They are one of my mum's favorites too, so she has got Nana's recipe off her, and was kind enough to share it with me. J is also a big fan of these

Afghans 

200 grams butter, soft not melted
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 1/2 cups  flour
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
3 cups corn flakes
2/3 cup of dark chocolate drops or buttons

Pre-heat the oven to 170. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Cream the butter and sugar, add flour and cocoa powder and mix. Fold in the cornflakes (don't worry if they smash up). Roll into balls, place on trays and flatten slightly with a fork. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Melt the choc drops (I do this in the microwave, 10 sec at a time, stirring in between). Mix well until the chocolate is a smooth consistency. Drizzle on to cookies. (Nana used to put a walnut on top too but I prefer them without).

No comments:

Post a Comment