Tuesday 18 September 2012

The perfect steak

The first thing J asked me when I told him I wanted a Thermomix "because it does everything, cooking, mixing, steaming, slicing and dicing", he asked me if it could cook a steak (it's funny how this is so important, I'm sure if I demoted him from the BBQ it wouldn't go down so great anyway)... well no, no it doesn't, but it does do a perfect mashed potato and coleslaw to compliment a steak!

On my last trip to the markets I purchased a whole piece of eye fillet steak (an amazing $18 per kg!), and got the butcher there to slice it up into pieces about 2 cm thick. There's probably a good 5-6 meals worth in what I got (in saying that J will eat two steaks per meal), so it stocks my freezer too.

Steak is one of those things that once you stuff it up there's no going back - you have a chewy mess.... here's what I do to avoid that

Steak, Mash and Coleslaw
(Skip the mash to make it more 12WBT friendly!)

1/4 red cabbage
1/4 green cabbage
1 green apple (quartered)
250g potatoes (peeled and halved)
125ml milk
1 tblsp butter
Salt
Parmesan -grated  (optional)
Chives - chopped (optional)
Oil spray
3 x steaks (I recommend eye fillet but whatever floats your boat)

Have your steak out (on the bench, covered) a couple of hours before you intend to cook it if possible, salted and oiled. Roughly chopped cabbage (mix red and green) and put with apple in TMX, and chop 3secs/Sp 5. Put in a bowl to the side. Rinse TMX bowl, and put in potatoes milk, butter, a pinch of salt (I always use rock salt, 1 or 2 twists with the grinder) and cook at for 25 mins/100 degs/Reverse sp 1. When the timer on TMX is at about 15 minutes, heat up your oil sprayed bbq or pan till it is searing hot.When the timer is at about 8 minutes throw on the steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and wrap in foil and set aside to rest. Once the potatoes are done, add the Parmesan and or chives and mix 30sec/Sp 3-4. Serve! Best enjoyed with a big glass of red wine ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment